Derek A. Cooper was born in 1987 to Terry and Cindy Cooper. He was a graduate of James Wood High School, Class of 2005 as well as Shepherd University, Class of 2011. Derek was employed as a math teacher and football coach at James Wood High School in Frederick County. Derek was down to earth and trusted by others; he had a real heart for people. He could light up a room with his warm smile and ability to find the good in everyone. He was an avid outdoorsman and enjoyed hunting, fishing, and camping. He was passionate about football with the James Wood High School Colonels, the Green Bay Packers, and West Virginia Mountaineers. Once you met Derek, he left a lasting impression that you would never forget. He was a well-rounded young man that had so much to offer and share with others. Derek A. Cooper is missed everyday by family and friends.
Eligibility for Scholarship
One of the following three:
- Played JWHS football.
- Plans on majoring in education, math or a related math subject.
- Plans on attending Shepherd University
GPA: 2.0 or higher
Application Completion (Printed):
- Fill out scholarship paperwork completely and write an essay no more than 2 pages.
- Please turn in all paperwork to guidance by: Deadline April 22, 2022
- Download Application (click here)
Application Completion (Online):
- Complete the scholarship online application. This includes uploading the typed essay.
- Please submit the application and essay by: Deadline April 22, 2022 (11:59 PM)
- Complete application online (click here)
Scholarships will be awarded during Senior Awards Night.